AOD Recovery & Mental Health | Healing Light SA
Healing & Wellness

AOD Recovery & Mental Health | Healing Light SA

Explore Articles

How to talk to your children about your recovery journey

July 18, 2026 Shane Meyer Comments
How to talk to your children about your recovery journey
Photo via Unsplash

Why this conversation matters

When you are a parent in recovery your children are watching. They notice when you do not join family meals. They sense when you are late picking them up because you were in a support group. They overhear hushed phone calls or see the tears in your eyes after an old trigger surfaces. These moments shape how your children understand what you are doing and why. Talking openly about your recovery is not one single talk; it is many small, honest conversations that grow with your children’s age and understanding. Trust grows when you speak from your heart instead of hiding behind silence.

Choose the right moment and keep it simple

Start with a quiet time when both you and your child are calm and not distracted. A short conversation after school or during a walk can feel less intense than a formal sit-down. Begin with what they already know. You might say, ‘You know how sometimes Mommy or Daddy gets really tired or grumpy?’ Then share a small truth: ‘I have been working on something important to help me feel better every day.’ Keep sentences short and clear. Young children do not need to know every detail about withdrawal or therapy; they need to know you are safe and staying safe.

For older children and teenagers you can add more context without overwhelming them. Explain that recovery means you have stopped using substances that were hurting your health and your relationships. Use everyday words. Instead of saying ‘I am in abstinence-based treatment’ you can say ‘I go to meetings where people help each other stay substance-free so we can be the parents we want to be.’ This keeps the language real and relatable.

Answer their questions with honesty and age-appropriate detail

Children’s questions will tell you how much they are ready to hear. A five-year-old may ask ‘Are you sick?’ You can answer ‘Yes, I was sick with a disease that made my brain and body need alcohol or drugs. Now I am getting medicine and support to stay healthy.’

A ten-year-old might wonder ‘Does this mean I could get the same disease?’ You can reassure them: ‘This sickness is not like a cold you catch from someone. It is more like a family tendency, but I am learning tools so it does not control me.’

Teenagers often ask directly about relapse risk or your past behaviour. Give truthful but bounded answers. ‘Yes, I have slipped before, and that is why I have a plan with my counsellor and a support person I can call.’ Sharing the plan shows them you are taking action, not just hoping for the best.

It is okay to say ‘I do not have all the answers right now’ when a question feels too big. Follow up later when you have had time to think or to speak with your counsellor.

Show them what recovery looks like in daily life

Children learn more from watching what you do than from hearing what you say. When they see you go to group meetings and come home calm instead of angry or withdrawn, they absorb the message that recovery is real. Ask them occasionally what they notice. A simple ‘I have been going to extra meetings lately. How do you feel when I come home more present?’ opens space for their honest feelings without putting pressure on them to perform positivity.

Use small rituals that include your children in recovery. A morning walk together can become a quiet time to talk or just breathe. Making tea while listening to a recovery podcast creates a calm atmosphere. When a craving hits, model healthy coping out loud: ‘I feel the urge to use, so I am going to call my sponsor and then do ten jumping jacks to shift my energy.’ This teaches them that emotions are normal and there are tools besides substances.

Talk about feelings, not just facts

Children often worry about what they cannot name. If you only talk about appointments and medication, they may imagine the worst. Name the feelings that come with recovery: frustration, pride, sadness, relief. Saying ‘I felt so proud when I managed to say no to an old friend who wanted me to use with them’ helps your child see recovery as a human journey, not a set of rules.

Ask about their feelings too. ‘How do you feel when I talk about my recovery at dinner?’ or ‘Sometimes I worry I am not the same parent I was. Do you ever feel that way?’ These questions show you value their inner world as much as their outer behaviour.

Create routines that keep everyone steady

Predictability reduces anxiety for children whose parent is in recovery. A shared morning routine, a weekly family check-in, or a simple bedtime habit like reading together can anchor the day. If your recovery schedule changes, give advance notice. ‘I have to go to an extra meeting tonight. I will be back by eight-thirty so we can still have our story time.’ This teaches children that your recovery is important, and so is your commitment to them.

Bedtime can be a natural place for honesty. A short update like ‘Today I met with my counsellor and practised deep breathing when I felt stressed. Tomorrow I will try a new walking route so I can be outside more.’ helps children feel included without carrying adult burdens.

When to seek extra support for your child

Even with the best conversations, some children need extra space to process. Signs may include nightmares, withdrawal from friends, sudden drops in schoolwork, or comments like ‘I wish things were how they used to be.’ These are not signs that your recovery talk failed; they are signs your child is carrying emotions that need support.

Consider a child counsellor or support group for children of parents in recovery. Programs like Alateen or family-focused AOD counselling can give your child a confidential place to ask questions and share feelings. Including them in your own counselling sessions occasionally can also help, with your counsellor’s guidance.

Practical takeaways for parents in recovery

  1. Start small and start now. You do not need a perfect script. A simple ‘I am working on staying healthy so I can be a better mom/dad for you’ is enough to open the door.
  2. Match the message to their age. A four-year-old needs a sentence. A sixteen-year-old can handle more detail and responsibility to help plan safe routines.
  3. Be honest about setbacks without oversharing. Acknowledge a slip with ‘I made a mistake. I am back on track with my tools.’ Then show the next right action.
  4. Invite their questions gently. ‘What questions do you have about what I just shared?’ allows them to ask without fear.
  5. Make your recovery visible and ordinary. Let them see your meetings notes on the fridge, your journal on the table, your deep breaths in the lounge. Normalise recovery as part of family life.
  6. Watch their behaviour as much as their words. Changes in sleep, appetite, or friendships may signal they need more space to talk or extra support.

A hopeful way forward

Talking to your children about recovery is not a one-time event; it is a series of honest moments that build trust over time. When you speak from your heart, keep explanations simple, and show recovery in action, your children learn that honesty and healing are strengths, not weaknesses. They learn that families can face hard things together and come out the other side stronger. You do not have to be perfect. You just have to keep showing up, keep listening, and keep choosing recovery, one day, one conversation, one small step at a time.

Your recovery journey is not only about you. It is a legacy of honesty, courage, and love that you are already passing on to your children.

Healing Light SA
S

About Shane Meyer

Shane is the founder of Healing Light SA and an AOD Counsellor based in Benoni. He writes from lived experience — he is a person in recovery himself. His approach draws on the Minnesota Model, trauma-informed care, and 12-Step principles.

Get weekly recovery insights →  •  Free community →

You don’t have to figure this out alone.

Free peer support, a weekly newsletter, and guidance from someone who has walked this road — no cost, no judgement.

References
  1. American Psychiatric Association. (2026). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed., text rev.). https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.books.9780890425787
  2. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2020). Substance use disorder treatment for people with co-occurring disorders. SAMHSA Publication No. PEP20-02-01-004.
  3. Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation. (2022). The Minnesota Model of addiction treatment. Hazelden Publishing.
  4. NAADAC. (2021). NAADAC/NCC AP code of ethics. https://www.naadac.org/code-of-ethics
  5. Miller, W. R., & Rollnick, S. (2013). Motivational interviewing: Helping people change (3rd ed.). Guilford Press.
  6. World Health Organization. (2022). World mental health report: Transforming mental health for all. WHO Press.
Professional Standards & Affiliations
Addiction RecoveryMental HealthAOD CounsellingHealing Light SAFamily Recovery

Comments ()

Be the first to share your thoughts.