AOD Recovery & Mental Health | Healing Light SA
Healing & Wellness

AOD Recovery & Mental Health | Healing Light SA

Explore Articles

From rock bottom to purpose: turning pain into a meaningful life

July 06, 2026 Shane Meyer Comments

When the storm finally breaks

I still remember the smell of stale air and disinfectant in Ward 17 at Helen Joseph Hospital, Johannesburg. The walls were the colour of old bone. I had just woken up after my second overdose in six months. The paramedic’s voice was flat: ‘You’re lucky this time.’ Lucky. The word echoed like a bell in an empty church. I was 27, had lost my job, my flat, and every friend who hadn’t already walked away. My life had shrunk to a single question: ‘How much longer can I keep doing this?’

That morning I swore I would never drink again. A week later I did. Rock bottom wasn’t a single event; it was a plateau I kept falling through. Yet that flat white ceiling in the hospital ward became the first thin slice of sky I’d seen in years. It was the moment I realised pain doesn’t have to be the end of the story. It can be the first sentence of a new one.

Pain as a compass, not a prison

Many people in long-term recovery tell me they feel shame when they look back at their using days. ‘I wasted so much time.’ ‘I hurt everyone.’ Those feelings are real, but they don’t have to be permanent. Pain is information, not a life sentence. Every relapse, every sleepless night, every DUI, every tear-stained voicemail, each moment was sending a signal. The signal wasn’t ‘you’re broken’; it was ‘you’re still searching.’

Research from the Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment shows that individuals who transform their pain into purpose report significantly lower rates of relapse and higher life satisfaction (Best et al., 2022). The key is reframing the narrative. Instead of ‘I ruined my life,’ try ‘I survived my lowest point and now I know exactly what I never want to go back to.’ That shift isn’t denial; it’s defiance.

Small sparks, big fires

Purpose isn’t delivered in a single Amazon box on a Tuesday morning. It’s built brick by brick in the quiet hours between meetings and coffee cups. My first brick was a promise I made to myself in the hospital chapel: ‘No more secrets.’ I started telling my story, first to one counsellor, then to a room of strangers at a 12-step meeting. Each telling was a brick. Within six months I was asked to speak at a local high school. The principal introduced me as ‘someone who knows what it’s like to choose life.’ I cried on stage. The kids didn’t laugh; they listened. That morning I realised purpose isn’t about curing the past; it’s about lighting the future for someone else.

For others, purpose begins with service. Volunteering at an animal shelter, coaching junior rugby, or simply showing up sober for a friend’s birthday, these acts aren’t small; they’re seismic. A study in Addiction Science & Clinical Practice found that altruistic behaviour during early recovery predicts sustained abstinence and improved mental health (Laudet, 2021). Kindness isn’t just good karma; it’s a survival tool.

Embrace the awkward: your new identity is still forming

Six months into sobriety I walked into a gym for the first time. The weights felt foreign, the mirrors intimidating. I caught my reflection and didn’t recognise the man staring back. That discomfort was the sound of growth. Identity isn’t a badge you pin on once; it’s a set of experiments you run every day. ‘I’m a runner’ might start with walking 100 metres. ‘I’m a mentor’ might begin with listening twice as much as talking. ‘I’m in recovery’ isn’t a life sentence; it’s a permission slip to become someone new.

Yet the world doesn’t always offer a warm welcome. Some days you’ll be called ‘dry drunk’ or ‘just another addict.’ Those words sting, but they don’t define you. Recovery communities, whether AA, SMART, Refuge Recovery or secular groups, exist to remind you: you belong somewhere. Research from the American Journal of Public Health confirms that social connectedness reduces relapse risk by up to 50% (Kelly et al., 2020). Your people aren’t just friends; they’re lifelines.

Practical steps to turn pain into purpose

  1. Write your ‘why’ on paper. In one sentence, describe the life you never want to lose again. Keep it on your phone lock screen or wallet. Read it when cravings hit.
  2. Start a one-line-a-day journal. Each night, write one thing you did that day that was kind, honest or hopeful. On tough days this list becomes proof you’re already living your purpose.
  3. Volunteer for one hour this month. Choose an organisation whose values resonate. It could be serving meals, walking dogs, or mentoring a teen. The act of giving rewires the brain’s reward system (Layous et al., 2017).
  4. Tell one new person your story. Not for pity; for connection. Practice in the mirror first. Honesty melts shame faster than silence ever could.

From meaning to momentum

Last year I visited Ward 17 again. The paint was fresher, the lights brighter. A nurse asked if I was ‘one of the recovery speakers.’ I smiled and said, ‘One of the lucky ones.’ This time the word felt different. Luck isn’t chance; it’s readiness meeting opportunity. When we turn pain into purpose, luck becomes our new normal.

The road from rock bottom to purpose isn’t a straight line. There will be potholes, wrong turns, and nights when the past feels louder than the future. But every step forward is a vote for the life you’re building. You don’t have to have it all figured out today. You only have to keep moving, one honest day at a time.

If you’re reading this and your hands are shaking from cravings, or your heart is heavy from regret, remember this: the same fire that burned you down can now warm the world. Light the match. Start small. Stay willing. The rest will unfold.

You are already becoming

When I look at the man I am now compared to the boy who woke up in Ward 17, I see a stranger. But I recognise his eyes, the same stubborn hope that refused to die. That hope is yours too. It’s the quiet voice beneath the noise saying ‘keep going.’ Turn your pain into purpose, not in one grand gesture, but in a thousand quiet choices. Each choice is a brick. Each brick is a life. And yours is still being built.

You are not your lowest point. You are the person who survived it. That survival is your superpower. Use it wisely.

Your next step starts today. Not tomorrow. Not ‘when I’m ready.’ Today.

Healing Light SA
S

About Shane Meyer

Shane is the founder of Healing Light SA and an AOD Counsellor based in Benoni. He writes from lived experience — he is a person in recovery himself. His approach draws on the Minnesota Model, trauma-informed care, and 12-Step principles.

Get weekly recovery insights →  •  Free community →

You don’t have to figure this out alone.

Free peer support, a weekly newsletter, and guidance from someone who has walked this road — no cost, no judgement.

References
  1. American Psychiatric Association. (2026). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed., text rev.). https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.books.9780890425787
  2. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2020). Substance use disorder treatment for people with co-occurring disorders. SAMHSA Publication No. PEP20-02-01-004.
  3. Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation. (2022). The Minnesota Model of addiction treatment. Hazelden Publishing.
  4. NAADAC. (2021). NAADAC/NCC AP code of ethics. https://www.naadac.org/code-of-ethics
  5. Miller, W. R., & Rollnick, S. (2013). Motivational interviewing: Helping people change (3rd ed.). Guilford Press.
  6. World Health Organization. (2022). World mental health report: Transforming mental health for all. WHO Press.
Professional Standards & Affiliations
Addiction RecoveryMental HealthAOD CounsellingHealing Light SAChristian RecoveryGrief & Loss

Comments ()

Be the first to share your thoughts.